LEARN MORE HERE: TAKE KIDS FISHING
CONTACT INFO: Tim Bindl
Union Sportsmen’s Alliance
Mobile: (608) 397-1023
Fax: (877) 560-6714
Like Us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/unionsportsmen
WE PROBABLY ALL KNOW OF SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN CALLED TO ACTIVE DUTY AND WHETHER HE IS A UNION BROTHER, FAMILY MEMBER OR FRIEND YOU MIGHT WANT TO SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH THEM.
The federal government has regulations that address how the pension these people have are affected by active duty and they should educate themselves at some point on these USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights act) guidelines. Our National Pension Fund is consistent with USERRA and funds any obligation attributable to the employer for our Brothers and Sisters called to active duty. This paid obligation is recognized as Future Service Credit, which allows access to the Special Early Retirement and 55/30 retirement options. To receive this benefit the affected member must accomplish the following tasks:
1. Send a copy of your service induction papers to the Local Union Office before you leave on active duty and we will forward a copy to the National Pension Fund.
2. Report to your employer and inform them you are ready to work, when you are discharged, in the time period described below.
3. Report to the Local Union Office to inform them of your return; this is considered you application of reenployment. Again you must do this in the time period described below.
4. Give your employer and the Local Union a copy of your DD214 (honorable discharged) form.
5. Ask the Local Union to send notification to the National Pension Fund that you have been discharged and are ready to return to work. This must be done in the time period defined below.
There are time requirements associated with these tasks that vary based upon the period of service experienced.
If the member serves less then 31 days these tasks must be accomplished the first full work day following the completion period of service.
IF the member serves more then 30 days, but less then 181 days these tasks must be accomplished not later than 14 days following the completion period of service.
If the member serves more then 180 days these tasks must be accomplished not later than 90 days following the completion period of service.
It is hoped that this information helps. All of the Local #18 members, whether serving active duty or not, will receive this information. You may want to alert people you know in the service of the USERRA and encourage them to become familiar with its details - and while you are at it - thank them for their service!